Welcome to Stonehill
Dr. Beverly Sortland
Head of School
Welcome to the website of Stonehill International School! We are a co-educational, secular, non-selective day and boarding school located in the lush Indian countryside north of Bangalore, near the international airport. We are fully accredited by CIS/NEASC and the Australian Boarding Schools Association, and serve students from age 3 through secondary school. Our new, state-of-the art campus covers 34 acres and includes extensive sports fields and facilities, a swimming pool, an equestrian centre, three boarding houses, two libraries, and a cafeteria. Please do visit – the campus must be seen to be believed!
Deputy Head of School & Primary Principal
Head of Boarding
Stonehill’s Guiding Statements
We are an internationally-minded community of spirited learners, dedicated to the development of knowledgeable, caring, confident and responsible global citizens.
Our mission is to provide stimulating, engaging academics integrated with enhanced opportunities for technological innovation, sports and the arts.
- We learn through challenging, relevant, significant and engaging curricula.
- We create inspiring, innovative, differentiated learning experiences.
- We share our understandings and apply knowledge to real-life situations.
- We maximize our academic potential.
- We understand that balance is essential for a healthy, fulfilling life
- We provide an inclusive, compassionate and caring learning environment.
- We nurture the social, emotional, physical, and intellectual development of our students.
- We encourage students to reflect and take risks in their learning.
- We create an environment where learners are happy, safe and valued.
- We build relationships founded on trust, empathy and respect
- We are effective communicators who engage in collaborative and innovative learning.
- We are lifelong learners equipped with the skills to adapt and interact within a constantly changing world.
- We enable students to be resilient, happy and independent.
- We are critical, creative thinkers, confident in the application of a variety of approaches to learning.
- We nurture curiosity, developing skills for inquiry and research.
- We are principled, respectful global citizens.
- We effect positive change in our relationships, our community, and the environment.
- We are open-minded to the views, cultures, values and traditions of others.
- We seek opportunities to grow and challenge ourselves.
- We are active participants in the learning process.
Areas of Strategic Focus and Objectives
Learning and Teaching
A collaborative culture of innovation and continuous improvement in learning and teaching to promote spirited learners
Attract, develop and retain the highest caliber of employees which honours our commitment to Stonehill’s Vision
Infrastructure, School Growth and Development
Be a school of choice and a centre for excellence in India
A clear, compelling identity, recognized locally and globally
Responsible planning and management of resources to be financially stable and self-sustaining.
Stable, effective governance and vibrant leadership, which models transparency, trust and accountability
Governance and Leadership
Stonehill is a not-for-profit school and is proud to be an education initiative of Embassy Group. The school is governed by a five-member, appointed Governing Council consisting of prominent business leaders, former parents, and the owner’s representative. The Governing Council acts under the delegated authority of the Board of Stonehill Education Foundation. The Head of School and the Business Manager are also part of the Governing Council, and are supported by the Educational Leadership Team and Admin Team, respectively.
Accreditation and Authorisation
Stonehill is fully accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS), the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC), and the Australian Boarding Schools Association (ABSA). The school will be undergoing a re-accreditation visit in 2018. For the curriculum, Stonehill is an authorised, three-programme International Baccalaureate (IB) school, with re-authorisations in 2016 and 2017 either completed or currently underway for the Primary Years, Middle Years, and Diploma programmes.
Stonehill Faculty: A global faculty for a multinational student body
The importance of teachers in any academic programme cannot be overemphasized, especially in the IB methodology. All of our faculty members are IB trained and many have significant previous experience in IB schools around the world.
We believe that a diverse faculty goes a long way in preparing students to adapt to a rapidly globalizing world. Most of our teachers have previously lived and worked in many countries and cultures. Not only do they bring a different perspective to the table, but their experience of discovering the pleasures (and puzzles) of living in places quite unlike those they have come from help them empathize with our students – both expatriate children and Indians with global aspirations. Stonehill probably has the most diverse community of teachers in Bangalore with professionals in recent years coming from Australia, Belgium, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, France, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Kenya, Malaysia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, the Philippines, Romania, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, UK, USA, and Venezuela.
As teachers and educators, we are, more than professionals in most other fields, lifelong learners. We invest heavily in the continuous development of our teachers with workshops and seminars, both in school and throughout Asia-Pacific.